Monday, October 26, 2009

Roommate Found, Family Moved, Generals Done, and Other News!

Here's the latest happenings at our house:

Well, we found a new roommate. Her name is Jill, and Laura and I couldn't be happier. Jill happened to see my blog and contacted me back in May. We talked over the summer, and after a few background checks and some prayer that she wasn't crazy Laura and I welcomed her to our home. She joins us from the amazingly beautiful Seattle, WA, is a personal trainer, and has quickly become acquainted with the life of graduate student. I've already given her a nickname to join the others of whom I hold dear. Last week she had a major 20-page paper due, and I must say I admired her persistence and endurance on the project. Way to go Jilly! Laura and Jill have been able to attend a couple of OU football games this fall, and we've all enjoyed playing Rockband on our down time. We've been able to host a few cookouts this fall since the weather has been so nice and have enjoyed opening up our humble little abode for friends and family. Both Jill and Laura have really been blessings, and I'm thankful for them.

Since it's been so long since I've written on the blog, I must also include an important piece of news. My sister, Tracey, and her family have moved to Norman, and I've been able to see them on a more frequent basis. Tracey's currently working on her doctorate in conducting. Seth is the new band director at a nearby school district, and Emma's begun kindergarten and Tylar the seventh grade. I love being so close to them! Tracey and I have been able to have lunch on a weekly basis, and we've been able to have a family night at least every other week since they've been here. It's been so wonderful.

Another bit of news is that I decided to hold off on applying to internship sites for another year. In hopes of taking better care of myself and protecting my sanity, I thought this might be best plan since many students take 5 years to complete their Ph.D. in this program anyway. After some prayer, discussions with valued faculty, family, and friends, I haven't looked back since. It's been such a relief. I finished taking general exams a couple of weeks ago and am currently scheduled to take my oral exams next week. After that, I plan to devote myself to dissertation prospectus and remain diligent in my final courses.

A few exciting moments outside of the program occurred this month. Keeno and I were able to attend my sweet little nephew's, Boden, birthday party the day after generals. He turned 2! I was thrilled to see everyone, especially after such a stressful week. I can honestly say I've never seen a party quite like this one. Little man had it goin' on! A full size moonwalk/bouncy thingy. Kids from all over came to Boden's party. It was definitely the event of the season! Landry and Hudson played little hostess and host and Megan and Shawn attended to guests that arrived. Mom, Tracey, Tylar, and Emma were able to come as well. Naturally being so close to Thanksgiving, discussions surrounding who's house will we be going to began to transpire. It was determined that my mom will be having Thanksgiving at her house and my sister, Megan, at hers too since Shawn will be on-call during the holiday. So I'm going to try to make it to both houses over Thanksgiving break if I can.

Last weekend Keeno and I played football at friends of ours house after the OU/KU game. It was a blast. We had a pretty good size group turn out for the afternoon watch party/backyard football game. I think I only hurt one of the boys who played with us. I've missed playing sports, and Keeno was quite the talent and expressed a slight surprise to my competitive side. I laughed quietly. On Sunday, I got to go to hear my sister, Tracey, perform with her concert choir the Mozart Requiem Mass at OU's Catlett Music Center. Mom and B came down and my niece, Tylar and I giggled quietly while we read some of the funny last names listed on the program during the instrumental pieces. Tylar had to take the program away from me so I wouldn't be more disturbing to the audience around us. Yes, she's only 12! Apart from our silliness, I've never heard Mozart's Requiem Mass performed live, and it didn't disappoint. I kept seeing Tom Hulce in his portrayal of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in my mind as the movement progressed. I imagined him laying in bed slowly slipping away as Salieri transcribed for him the magnificent death requiem. An epic moment! It was a wonderful time hearing them sing, and I look forward to seeing/hearing more.

Other than that, I've been busy with school, work, getting my dissertation up and running, specialty practicum at a diabetes clinic at the OU-Health Sciences campus, and volunteering for a treatment center for school-age children. I've also become a megafan of the new hit show called Glee! If you haven't seen it, check it out! It's genius! Hope you all are well and hope to hear from you soon!

1 comment:

  1. hey good to hear from you. I have a blog now too if you want to check it out it's listed on my facebook page. I miss you!! glad to hear you are doing good

    ReplyDelete